I was able to have a 1 hour hands on session with Lumix yesterday and try some of the GH6 features.
- Beautifully engineered machine
- 1 stop dynamic range increase appears to be true
- LCD design with tilt will make easier to see underwater
- Records ProRes 422 HQ to CFExpress Card
- Support HDMI 2.1 (playback only)
- Battery same as the S5 and newer GH5M2
- Battery consumption 25 to 35% higher in MP4
- Significant HDMI lag if you use a recorder (1/4 of a second)
- Will record to USB with a future firmware update
- Will record prores raw externally with a future firmware update
- No battery grip
I am going to do a longer write up once I have tested the camera for land wildife use however I have the following concerns
- What is the real battery life when you record ProRes to card instead of the low quality MP4, will it last at least one dive?
HDMI lag is horrible just received confirmation that HDMI recording is capped at 4K resolutionThis proved to be a red herring as the lag is decreased from the GH5 series see here https://interceptor121.com/2022/03/10/panasonic-gh5m2-and-gh6-hdmi-lag-optimisation/
- The lag of the HDMI can be reduced if you use only a monitor with a few tricks and it only needs HDMI 1.4
- The USB recording will be powered by the camera and the battery is already small
My recommendations for a professional grade housing would be:
- Recording to card either 4K@60 or 5.7@30 depending on your use case
- Optional monitor to run in 1080p to reduce lag HDMI 1.4 is sufficient
- PD Power bank inside the housing so you are sure you will not run out for an entire day of shooting
For photography a classic housing would work but then who is going to get this just for photos?
Stay tuned for more information. If there is something you want to know about the camera use the comment feature here.